Thursday, May 14, 2009

Getting dirty....





There are few things as fulfilling as planting a seed and watching it grow into a glorious flower or something you can munch on. Getting to that point is usually not all that care free though. Last summer was filled with great intentions but the bugs, weeds and a crying infant got the best of me and the only two things that grew well were carrots and basil. Not that they didn't taste great but my taste buds are craving more of a variety this year.

It all starts with a lot of prep work and we like to do everything organic, which means every little bit of compostable food was carried down a narrow path through four feet of snow all winter long to our homemade compost mansion. The result is some wonderful smelly black gold that I just finished mixing into the soil this week. We also added inches of shrimp and manure compost. Doesn't that sound lovely?

A few years back I found an amazing seed catalog that I would loose myself in for hours. It was from a heirloom seed company named Seed Savers Exchange. They also have an online store that you can visit. Tigger Melon, Himalayan Blue Poppies, Bunny Tail Grass and Brown Berry Tomato are a few of the seeds I planted in the past few weeks and some of them are already showing their green heads. The next few months will be very exciting me and my almost three year old daughter who put most of the seeds in the ground.

1 comment:

  1. this tiger melon really caught my eyes ... It is such an great and rewarding esperience for kiddos ... and some beautiful moments to sahre with her

    ReplyDelete